Sunday 18 November 2012

London: Harrods to Borough Market

So the other weekend I went on a trip to London with my mum to visit my brother. I will be the first to admit that I strongly dislike London. I hate the way everyone's so driven, and busy, and crowded, and serious, and..... and.... don't get me started on the underground!!! ULGH!

But I have to admit this trip was pretty special, we made two visits, one to Harrods and one to Borough Market. Wow! They were both incredible places but so different!

Harrods was the epitimie of wealth and perfection, anything would could desire, would that be hand-crafted chocolates, or delicatable cured meats, or the COOLEST toys a kid could dream of, or the most lavish ice-cream sunday ever, or a little hoody for your dog (which, to be honest is just disturbing...) Everything is so refined and pretty and there are halls of everything and anything, each one perfectly designed with beautiful ceilings and stunning chandeliers.

Then there's Borough Market, where all your senses are assalted. There's a riot of colours and smells and textures. There are dead pheasants, and sizzling sausages, and mountains of brownies, and rainbow-coloured vegetables, and pungent cheeses, and incredible mushrooms. There's an electrifying atmosphere as you make your way through the crowds and hear bargaining and cheerful sale cries.

So, what did I prefer? Tricky. They were completely different expereinces, where Harrods felt like some sort of dream, feeling slightly out of place with my cheap rucksack and worn jeanes, yet utterly bedazzling. Whilst in Borough Market I was swept on the tide of raw, frost-bitten, harsh beauty.

To let you experience it for yourself I took some photos:

Harrods:






 
 
Borough Market:





 
 
And here are some photos of 'London's best coffee shop' - definitely a highlight of the trip!!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment